Technically this tutorial isn’t even needed, as the ability to have a Starting Weapon is already built-in and can be set in Begin Play on the Character..
However few people asked how to select the starting weapon from something like the Main Menu, so that it can be changed dynamically in-game, so I decided to write this tutorial.
Related: How to add a starting weapon and why it’s related to the save system
1. Create a new save game, a new ENUM and a new widget
2. In the ENUM list all the weapons that you want to have in the armory
3. In the savegame add that enum
4. In the Armory widget that you created, add a few buttons for each of the weapons that are in the ENUM and a close button
5. Still in the Armory widget, create a new function
6. Still in the Armory widget, connect the buttons (on clicked/pressed) to do this
Widget (Main Menu)
7. Open the Main Menu widget and add a button to open the armory widget
8. Still in the Main Menu widget, add this to its Event Construct and to the button on pressed/clicked
9. Now open the Character and create a new function
10. Still on the Character, connect the new function anywhere on Begin Play
You can now select any of the weapons from the menu and it will be used as the starting weapon for the character.