At this point everyone is probably aware that UE5 early access has been released to the general public, so naturally I got asked a lot about when it will be compatible and such, which is understandable.
Please understand that at this time Marketplace Sellers do not have the option to set it as compatible or to push updates for it, this will change later this year, but for now it is recommended to use UE5 only for testing purposes as its still in early access.
This guide will show you how to use FPS Game Starter Kit in UE5, however this is in unofficial capacity and entirely experimental, meaning even if it works this build of UE5, it may not in the next one. For an official version you’ll have to wait until Epic allows us to push updates for it and list it as compatible.
With that said, let’s begin..
1. Create a new FPS Game Starter Kit project (4.25 or 4.26)
2. Right click on your .uproject file and switch engine version
3. Pick UE5EA, source build should work too, keep in mind that in UE you can switch to newer engine versions, but not go back to older ones, so make sure you’re doing this on a test project
4. When you open the project, first thing you’ll see is a death wall of errors, but don’t worry, all of them are irrelevant. The reason this is happening is because the vehicles physics is being changed from PhysX to Chaos, and unfortunately neither of them is enabled by default at this time. The whole vehicle situation is as follows: 4.25 uses PhysX, 4.26 uses also PhysX, but the other 4.26-chaos uses chaos vehicles, 4.27 preview uses PhysX but has chaos in plugins but it doesn’t seem to work currently, UE5 has chaos in plugins but it’s disabled by default, for PhysX you need to use the source build. And because no vehicle is enabled in UE5 at the moment, it greets you with this:
5. The solution: just delete the vehicles folder
6. Go to Edit > Plugins
7. Find and enable Chaos Vehicles, it will warn you that it’s still in beta, click yes and restart the editor
8. Download and extract the temporary chaos vehicle that I made and put it in the level
I would again remind that this is an unofficial patch and entirely experimental, meaning even if it works this build of UE5, it may not in the next one. For an official version you’ll have to wait until Epic allows us to push updates for it and list it as compatible.